Tuesday 13 May 2014

Evaluation: Question 3

3. What have you learned from your audience feedback?

To gather audience feedback I first had to create 2 questionnaires: One for my trailer, and one for my ancillary texts. I asked people I knew of different ages and genders these questions and filmed their reactions, I have included their ages to give an idea of what different age ranges thought to my work. Although not every age fits my demographic, I thought it would be useful to include a wider range of ages to get a wider opinion, and the inclusion of males helps me see if my product appealed to my secondary audience.
I asked around 8 people what they thought to my products, 4 of the interviews I have filmed.

My Main Product questions:

1. How old are you?
This was so I could see whether they fit into my demographic.
2. Where do you normally watch films?
This helped me to see which media people normally watch films on, so which media I should appeal to most in the trailer.
3. Do film trailers usually encourage you to watch the film they are advertising?
This question was to see if film trailers had any effect on the interviewee, so I could see how effective my trailer was in comparison to others.
4. Would you go to see my film?
This was to see if the trailer had achieved its purpose of persuading the audience to watch the trailer.
5. Did you enjoy the trailer?
Here I could see if my trailer entertained, which was another purpose.
6. Did it hold your attention?
I could see if my trailer drifted from the storyline here, and if there were any weak parts in it. This helped me to see if there were any parts from which I could reduce the trailer.
7. Was the trailer too long/short/just right?
This showed me whether I was right in thinking my trailer is slightly too long.
8. How did you find the standard of camera work and editing?
Here I could see what other people thought to my production work, and if it was of a good quality.
9. Is there anything that would improve the trailer?
This showed me anything that was wrong with the trailer, and the weaker parts of it that could be improved.
10. On a scale of 1 - 10, where would you place my trailer?
This let me see how people would rate my trailer, how good it was, and whether they compared well to other products they had seen that were similar.
11. Were there any parts that you found difficult to understand?
As I had quite a complex storyline, this made sure the trailer wasn't too complicated for someone who had just seen the trailer, with no idea of the storyline previously.
12. Does the trailer reflect the genre of RomCom well?
This helped me see if it fit in with my chosen genre of RomCom, and whether other people thought that it did.

Interviews:


My ancillary questions:

1. How old are you?
This was so I could see whether they fit into my demographic.
2. What was the first impression you got of the poster, i.e. what genre of film did you think it was for?
- Why?
This let me see what people's first reactions were to my work, if they they thought it was good or bad, and whether it actually suited my genre at first glance.
3. Does the magazine cover successfully imitate that of a real film magazine?
Here I could see how effective my magazine was at imitating the style of 'Empire' magazine.
3. How good is the standard of editing?
4. How good is the standard of photography?
These two questions let me get feedback on my production skills, and let me see what people thought of my edited work.
5. Would the poster encourage you to watch the film?
-Why?
This was essential, as if the product didn't encourage people to watch the film, it didn't achieve its purpose of pursuading people to watch the film, and so was pointless to the promotion package.
6. Do you feel the products are cohesive together?
-Why?
This helped me get a sense of the synergy between my products, and see how well they worked together.
7. What would improve the products?
Here I could see where I had gone wrong, or if I could have added anything into my work to make it better.
8. On a scale of 1 - 10 where would you place my products?
This let me see how people would rate my products, how good they were, and whether they compared well to other products they had seen that were similar.

The 'why's encourage the interviewee to expand on their points so I get a better quality of feedback.

Interview:


From my audience feedback I have deduced that my products are well received by others, and are easy enough to understand, although my trailer was a bit too complicated, I feel that the increased length of the trailer has helped to get across the general story-line, although I may have given a bit too much away (as one interviewee has said).
Most people watch films at home, either on DVD or online. So if I were to release the film, I would try to appeal more to the online audience. However, I feel as if I have already done this to some extent as I have already added in a website address to both the trailer and poster.
I have found that my standard of editing is of a high quality, as all of the interviewees said that they found the quality of editing good, this also goes for my standard of photography.
I have found that film trailers and posters do usually encourage people to watch the film they are advertising, so it is important that they are good, otherwise people would not go to see the film, as they, (the trailer especially) influence people's perceptive of the film.
My poster suits it's purpose, as those who commented on it said that they would go to watch that film, and that the poster would encourage them to see it. The trailer also had the same effect, also to a higher extent, as people were enthusiastic for me to actually make the film as they wanted to watch the film for real, having found the trailer highly entertaining.
My trailer is perfect for my target audience, as girls aged around 18 (approximately the median of my target audience which is women between the ages of 12 and 35)  who I interviewed thought that the trailer described 'the type of film they want to be watching', this means that the trailer has achieved it's purpose as it is persuading girls of the right age to want to watch the film.
People found the trailer 'hilarious' so it was definitely funny enough to be a RomCom, whilst still keeping the romantic side to it. This funny side helped people to keep attention, however, some people's attention drifted slightly, which I feel is due to the long length of the trailer. People found, though, that the confusion also helped to make them want to watch the film, as they could find out what happens by watching it.
My trailer was placed at an average of 8/10. I feel this is due to the fact that it is too long and a bit too confusing. Also, at certain points, such as the lift scene, there were interruptions to the speech which I couldn't edit out, and these brought the quality of the trailer down.
The poster was described as being romantic, so it fit its purpose as people could tell immediately tell that the poster belonged to the RomCom genre.
My products had a synergy, as the combination of more than one product had a greater effect on people wanting to see the film than just one on its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment