Wednesday 7 May 2014

Empire Magazine Cover

This is the photo I am using for the film magazine cover, it is of the main character, smiling:
This is my first draft of my Empire magazine cover, it is simply a rough placing of what will go on the cover and where. Fonts are needed as well as a new background:
My finished Empire magazine cover:

Description:
I have added a new background to the cover, as I felt the green wasn't quite right and the white was too plain.
There is a caption at the top saying 'The RomCom event of the year' This encourages the audience to buy the magazine as it is the event of the year. I had found that many issues of 'Empire' had a caption at the top, so I decided to do the same.
The masthead 'Empire' is in its usual place on the magazine, in its usual colouring, and there is the date of the issue and price above the'M', sticking to the style of the magazine.
'The world's biggest movie magazine' is captioned underneath, again, a lot of 'Empire' issues had a caption here, so I copied it. The fact that it is the world's biggest movie magazine, shows that it is an established magazine, and the phrase subconsciously hints to the audience that if it is the biggest magazine, it must be the best.
There is a button below this caption, saying 'First look! Heaven & Earth! The on-set exclusive'. The fact that it is in a button draws attention to it, and once the audience looks at it, 'First look!' and 'exclusive' tempt the reader in, because no one else will have this sneak preview, so they will have to buy this issue to see it first. I took this idea from an issue I have analysed.
Abby is centre-page of the magazine, as she is the main character of 'Heaven & Earth' and as this issue of 'Empire' is promoting that film, she should be featured on the front cover.
The barcode is placed just below the masthead, on the right-hand side. This was the best place for it, as it allowed me enough room to advertise the contents and was still visible enough for the cashier.
Underneath that 'Essential 2014 preview' is placed, introducing the list of films (which I have selected from a list of upcoming films in 2014) underneath it which the magazine is going to talk about. Again, the words 'Essential' and 'Preview' draw the audience in. The 'Starring Angels & humans from Heaven & Earth' links this preview into the main feature of the magazine.
In the bottom left-hand corner there is a yellow '+', which I found that most issues of 'Empire' had. It introduces 'Angelina Jolie looking devilish on the set of Malificent', another article in the issue. I selectied this film as it is a very close release. As it is both out of the way of the other previews, and introduced by a '+', it shows that it is not included in the main feature of the issue, yet still important enough to be featured on the cover. 
Background photo I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment